MORNING DROP-OFF AND AFTERNOON DISMISSAL INFORMATION FOR PARENTS
INFORMATION REGARDING BREAKFAST/MORNING DROP-OFF
1. We encourage parents to use the drive through area to drop off students. Staff members are on duty beginning at 6:50 to assist students in exiting their vehicles. Students will exit and enter your vehicle on the right side, closest to the building. Students are not to exit their vehicles from the lane opposite of the sidewalk. This situation could place students and staff in a very dangerous situation so staff members will only open car doors near the sidewalk.
2. Please do not use the parking area as a drop off point for your child to cross the driveway by him/herself. If you do not go through the drop off line but park in the parking lot, you will need to walk your child across the street. We do not want children to cross a lane of moving traffic without you. This is a very busy area in the mornings and afternoons. We do not want any of our students to get hurt.
3. Staff members are on duty in the parent drop off area until 7:30 a.m. at which time the gate and doors will be locked. The staff members must get to their classrooms and will not be able to wait for cars coming around the curve so please do not be offended if they are locking the gate as you are pulling up.
4. Any student arriving after 7:30 a.m. must be brought into the main office lobby by a parent or guardian who will sign in the student using the computer on the right side of the table. Students who are tardy will be issued tardy slips. Students who are late are not to enter the building without their parents or guardians. Habitual late arrivals will be addressed. These practices help protect our children.
(In the mornings before 7:30, pre-kindergarten, kindergarten and first grade students will sit in the hallways by their classroom doors.
5. Pre-K teachers take their students to breakfast at 7:20, so any Pre-K students arriving after 7:30 will need to be taken to the cafeteria. This will be necessary, whether the student is eating or not, since Pre-K teachers take their entire class to the cafeteria when they go. Be reminded that breakfast is not served after 7:30 a.m.
6. encourage all students to eat breakfast since this is the most important meal of the day. Breakfast is free for all Sumter School District students. Kindergarten and first grade students, who would like to eat breakfast, need to arrive before 7:30. Again, remember breakfast is not served after 7:30 a.m.
INFORMATION REGARDING DISMISSAL
Please register your child for a parent pick-up number if your child will be a car rider on a regular basis during the 2014-2015 school term to go home. (You will receive two laminated cards to be used by any family member when picking the student up.) The number card must be displayed on your dashboard. Your child will receive a smaller matching card that we will attach to his/her backpack.
We encourage all parents to remain in your cars and use the drive through area for the pick-up of students. We have a system in place that allows us to get the students into the cars quickly. The first two weeks are slower as we get to know the students and you, the parents. After that, things move very smoothly. The number card, which has been issued to you, must be visible to the staff member calling for children and it must correspond with the student’s card. (If you, or the person authorized to pick up your child, do not have the number card, then you will need to report to the main office with picture identification (picture ID) to pick up your student.)
While parents are always welcome at Oakland Primary School, parents are not allowed to come into the building to wait by a child’s classroom door for dismissal. We must have the halls cleared so that we can get the students to their designated dismissal areas in the afternoons. One-third of our children rides the bus; one-third rides daycare vans and one-third is parent pick-up. Because of this, we have to shift our students in the afternoons to designated locations to make the dismissal process move quickly. Extra bodies in the building confuse the students and slow our ability to get them where they need to go.
Students in our Developmentally Delayed classes are the only students whose parents will enter the building to pick up – morning students will be in the parent pick up lobby and afternoon students will be in the media center. You must show the number card which has been issued and corresponds with the child’s card in order to pick up your child. (If you, or the person authorized to pick up your child, do not have this card, you will need to report to the main office with picture ID to pick up your child.)
Parents of regular Pre-K, Kindergarten, and 1st grade students, who do not feel it necessary to wait in the parent pick-up line, may pick up your child/ren at the back doors of the classrooms designated below. You must show the number card which has been issued and corresponds with the child’s card in order to pick up your child. (If you, or the person authorized to pick up your child, do not have this card, then you will need to report to the main office with picture ID to pick up your student.) A colored circle will be placed on the back door to indicate where your child is. We ask that you do not congregate on the main sidewalk to the parent pick-up area as you will be blocking the walkway while students are trying to get to their cars. The children are nervous about coming to a big and new school so a large crowd may confuse or upset them. We ask that you please adhere to this request.
WHITE CIRCLE on door (Ms. T. Moses’ room) Ms. T. Moses, Ms. Brewer, Mrs. Huckaby and Ms. Romuld
YELLOW CIRCLE (Ms. Collick’s room) Ms. Collick, Ms. Lear, Ms. Burns, Ms. Miles
RED CIRCLE (Ms. Eason’s room) Ms. Knudson, Ms. Green, Ms. Ellison, Ms. Lybrand, Ms. Springs, Ms. Harrell
ORANGE CIRCLE (Ms. Southerland’s room) Ms. Southerland, Ms. Davis, Ms. Hampton, Ms. Hill, Ms. Quinn
BLUE CIRCLE (Ms. Cusumano’s room) Ms. Cusumano, Ms. Healon, Ms. Conyers, Ms. Grant, Ms. McCray, Ms. Wells
Please do not use the parking lot as a pick up point for your child to cross the driveway by him/herself. (This is a very busy area in the mornings and afternoons. We do not want any of our students to get hurt.) Reminder: If you do not go through the parent pick-up line and choose to park in the parking lot to pick up your child, you will need to walk your child across the street. Please hold his/her hand.
PARENTS who WALK to school to pick up their children should also register and get a number card. You must show the number card which corresponds with the child’s card in order to pick up your child. (If you, or the person authorized to pick up your child, do not have this card, then you will need to report to the main office with picture ID to pick up your child.) All students who are not bus or daycare students will be dismissed from the parent pick up areas. Thank you for working with us to keep our children safe and traffic moving as quickly as possible.
We discourage signing students out of school early but you may sign your child out for an appointment or emergency situation. This must be done before 2:00 p.m. You may bring a copy of the appointment card or a note the next day of attendance explaining the reason for early dismissal. We will not sign students out after 2:00 p.m. This is closure time for teachers and students.